27.1.05

WHAT??

I found this horror of a poem on the internet a few weeks ago and I haven't bee able to stop trying to decipher what it actually means.

I know that it's supposed to be a kind of a guideline around Icelandic grammar, but even though I know Icelandic grammar is tough, I think this poem has succeeded in the near-impossible: to make it even harder!
I hereby am putting out an official 'WANTED' poster. The thing wanted is someone who understands what in Heaven's name it is supposed to mean and I will happily declare that someone much better at my native tongue than me.

Here's the dang thing:
___________________________

Learning Icelandic
An Anonymous Ode To The Complexities Of Grammar

You saw a ship go 'round the bend
In Iceland? Call it "skip", my friend.
But if you saw THE ship you use
"Hið skip", or "skipið" as you choose.

Supposing, then, that to this ship
You wish to go -- you can't say "skip"
The Nominative Case -- ah, no --
Rather, to "skipsins", do you go --

Then, up the ship-sides clamber you
"Hið skip", or "Hin skip" will not do.
Again, 'tis the Possessive Case
"Hin skips" or skipsins" used in place.

But, coming 'round the bend, maybe
Two ships, or three or four you see.
Then "skipin" see you, or "hin skip"
Plural Accusative of ship.

If to the ships you wend your way,
Is "skipin" still the word? Nay! Nay!
You now come to "hinna skipa" go --
Or to "skipanna" walk or row.

And pray be careful, lest you trip
Over a Dative on the ship.
Many have come to grief ere you
And barked their shins on "skipinu".

Enough! you say, in heaven's name, come
Lower the boats from "skipinu".
Desert the "skip" that is no ship
But various forms and kinds of "skip".

All right, if you insist, but we
Must take our leave grammatically.
"Hið skip" or "skipið" leave we now,
To "hinna skipa" make our bow.

Against "skipunum" far and near
Echoes our heartfelt parting cheer.
"Hið skip" -- Farewell! -- and ship ahoy,
God give Icelandic students, joy!
________________________

Now can someone please explain this to me as if I were a five year old?

1 ummæli:

Nafnlaus sagði...

I'm afraid I'm not that much good with such young people, but I'll give the ode below a thought-poke or few, regardless of making myself into a fool for all the world to see. And no, I do NOT know any Icelandic.

I'm sure you've understood that it's not about explainging icelandic grammar, but rather about showing how certain concepts are expressed in Icelandic; and targeted at an English-speaking audience, based on the choice of language. There are a few grammatical terms there, obviously, and they are used in a quite unambiguous way, I think. There's a rather simple pattern to it: example phrase, and how it's done in Icelandic. And it's of course all in relation to English grammar. There's the nominative case, the posessive, the accusative, and the dative. None of which exist as such in the English language, which is exactly why there is the frame of reference. I have rather little or no trouble understanding the poem in case. But maybe that's because Finnish nouns have 15 cases... =)

Now I'm off to watch some telly. I hope I was of some help. If not, feel free to hug me in the channel sometime.

-Antti (A.K.A. Inky)