9.3.05

Oh dang...

Eric, my friend in Canada (the one I told you about before) wasn't quite happy enough about my apparent obsession with poutine. I tried to tell him that was just my twisted sense of humour at work, but that didn't really do much to cheer him up! ;) So I promised him that today I'd try and find something more interesting to say about his country... The only problem is that up until last November, my knowledge about Canada was so minimal, and I'm actually just beginning to learn something about it now - something I'm actually hoping my planned trip this summer will help.

But here are a few things I've come to know so far:

*It is the second largest country in the world (by surface area). Only Russia is bigger. Too bad I won't be able to see all of it this summer...
*The Canadian national anthem is called "Oh Canada" (extremely inventive, don't you think?). It's actually a very pretty song - and unlike the Icelandic anthem, it is in fact singable. They also share the British royal anthem (God save the Queen), of course, since Queen Elizabeth II is their formal head of state.
*Canadians are strangely fond of beavers... (the rodent!)
*Not all Canadians are lumberjacks or fur traders. Hehehe...
*Most of the Canadian population is English-speaking, but in some places, like in Quebec and New Brunswick, they like to speak French (very cool).
*Canadians seem to be a pretty peaceful bunch of people, at least it doesn't look like their favourite hobby is to go out and shoot some folks or engage in wars.
*Canada has one of the world's highest living standards, and the women there can expect to reach the age of 84 years, while the men die considerably younger, at 76. (Hmmm... the life expectancy of an Icelandic woman is 82 years and of an Icelandic man 78 years. So perhaps, since I'm an Icelandic woman, I should consider moving to Canada if i want to live longer?)
*They make delicious maple syrup. :D
...
I'm tired and sick now, can't think of anything more... but before I leave, I'd just like to take this opportunity to remind Eric that if he's not satisfied with my posts he *can* post comments! ;)

2 ummæli:

lazydog sagði...

I might as well be Canadian...
I've lived about 10 minutes from the Canadian border all of my life and visit there often. Niagara Falls is 20 minutes away. I drink Canadian beer almost exclusively, it is far superior to all the major American brand swill available, like Budweiser. I listen to Canadian radio stations, and two of my all-time favorite bands are Canadian. My family has a cottage in Canada about 2.5 hours north of Toronto, on a lake that I can remember from age 5 (35 years ago)! Canada has been looking better and better these last five years because of the US political climate but now that Ontario is letting gay people marry, I may just have to move there.

Pjusken sagði...

Heh, that's great grey! I hope you'll have a beautiful ceremony in Ontario :)

whoohoo! 1-0 to Canada!