22.3.05

Old and rusted

Ok, so it's been a while since my last post. I'm going to blame that on the fact that I'm now back home. I say home (and not home) because I'm at my parents' place on the west coast of Iceland, in a tiny little place called Búðardalur. There are only about 300 people that live here, so it's a very nice little town. Well - I think it is. But then again, I grew up here and have special feelings for the place, so I'm perhaps not the best person to judge on it's niceness. I'm pretty sure that if anybody not native to this place were to pass judgement on it, (s)he would probably find it extremely boring. But there's just something about the way everything is so quiet here, and how you can actually sit outside for hours on end without ever seeing another person that is so great. At least it's a good change from the city life.
My parents have been enjoying my visit, I think they haven't quite gotten used to the "being alone"-thing. They have been raising children for over 40 years and just recently my youngest sister moved away from home, so having the place to themselves is a pretty new experience to them. I've been pampered with cakes and wonderful food (seriously beginning to think I'll be weighing twice as much as I did when I got here when I leave), letting me sleep in every day, doing my laundry and basically allowing me to sit on my behind all day, reading books and taking it easy. I actually don't know how good for me this is...

Anyway, I'm enjoying it while it lasts. Besides, isn't it kind of your parents' job to spoil you a bit when you've grown up and they don't get the chance to do it that much any more? I would think so. Now I'm just waiting to see if they've gotten me an easter egg! You see, the tradition here is to eat chocolate eggs at Easter, and naturally, the parents are the ones responsible for getting their children's blood sugar level to rise during this holiday. Well to be honest, the parents usually stop buying eggs for their kids when they start living on their own, and since I've been doing that since I was 15 I guess I can't really expect them to go buying me an egg... But I can still hope, can't I? I'm not asking for the biggest egg or anything! Just a little one!

So anyway, I went out for a walk today, the weather was so nice. The temperature was around 15°C, which is A LOT for this time of year. I enjoyed walking around my little town and taking pictures of cool things I saw along the way. One of the pictures was the one you see at the beginning of this post, it's my father's 1964 Chevrolet Impala. It has pretty much rusted through now, but it still has a very, very sentimental value to me. It has been parked in front of my house since before I can remember, and kind of just become a part of the view from the living room window. When I was little, I decided that when I grew up, I'd find myself a nice man who owned an auto-shop, he would fix the car and then we would use it when we got married. No silly bullsh*t about a prince on a white horse or anything, no!
The only qualification he should have was to be able to fix old cars! I can inform you that this dream of mine has changed somewhat - I no longer base my choice of men on their ability to fix cars, I even think I'm starting to lean more towards the "prince"-thing... In any case, I do think that my dream of riding in that car on my way to the church when I get married is slowly becoming a nightmare! The poor old thing will probably fall to pieces any day now, much to the despair of the multible mouse families that currently inhabit it. A cool picture of some rust can be seen here.

Anyway, it's getting late for me now, I guess I've talked about nothing for long enough now. So I'll just say good night, and thanks for (maybe) reading this.

*Li|iana over and out*

1 ummæli:

TeaGirl sagði...

How peaceful!!! :)
I like this post very much, thank you for sharing, Liliana.
Hope you will get the egg :) But even if not :D, seems that you have very nice time there :)
/Maija

p.s. /me is grumpy... we eat real eggs for Easter (at least they must be painted :)