18.2.05

The dangers of the flu

Yesterday I found out the most hazardous part of being sick.
Obviously, you're in great danger of becoming a pill-popping junkie or an alcoholic!
This flu of mine has been marked with horrible headache, ridiculously painful coughing spells and a high fever, so to try to keep the suffering to a minimum I've been taking some painkillers which in Icelandic are called Ibukod (a mixture of ibuprofen for the headache and codeine for pain killing and to suppress coughing), as well as another type called Panodil (it's basically just paracetamol - same thing as acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) - for kicking the fever down). Well, I guess the Panodil ones are OK, but the Ibukod is dangerous stuff! The Codeine in them is derived from morphine or opium and is highly addictive - so after a week of popping those I felt that my headache was caused more from withdrawal symptoms than from the flu...
So I decided to just take the pain and stop popping the pills. But I still had to keep the coughing to a minimum, though, because in one of the coughing spells I had managed to rupture a little vein and was therefore coughing up blood - and I don't really like the taste of blood (if my ex told you any different, he's lying!!), so I kind of wanted to not cough any more to let that heal.

So I got out my bottle of cough syrup - but didn't really limit the use of it to the 10 ml 5 times a day as suggested... *whistles*
I guess you can say I REALLY wanted to get rid of the coughing, so I drank about 3/4 of the 150 ml bottle before noon yesterday. I *do* realize that was probably not a very wise decision, but in my defence: THIS COUGHING HURTS!!!
Well the result of that binging was that I suddenly felt the urge to lie down on the floor and going to sleep. I looked at my cats playing on the floor and they were actually jumping around in slow motion, I had a buzzing in my ears and a not-so-great feeling in my tummy... Well I pretty much felt like I did at 7:43 last January 1st, when I was getting home from that newyears party...
Anyway, I managed to crawl to bed and pass out there for five hours! And I woke up with a much heavier head than before, BUT no coughing!

All I can say is that I hope this will be over soon, I don't want this flu to cause me to have to check in at a rehab facitily...

Engin ummæli: